Tuesday, Apr 7, 2020
As our communities navigate these historic times, we wanted to share with you another helpful resource in our local community - South Carolina Legal Services (SCLS).
Please see below for an excerpt from the SCLS March 2020 Newsletter. This newsletter contains helpful information for customers, staff, and other agencies and groups in our community. To see the full newsletter from SCLS, please click here.
|South Carolina Legal Services (SCLS) is a non-profit law firm. We provide free legal services in a wide variety of civil (non-criminal) legal matters to eligible low income residents of South Carolina. Our mission is to provide legal services to protect the rights and represent the interests of low income South Carolinians.|
TEMPORARY ARRANGEMENT FOR SCLS OFFICES:
To protect the health and safety of our clients, staff and visitors, all South Carolina Legal Services offices are temporarily not open to the public. You can apply for legal services by calling our intake office at 888-346-5592 or online.
UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFITS:
If you became unemployed because of COVID-19, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits.
– Answers to common questions.
– Does your situation entitle you to unemployment benefits?
– Instructions that walk you through the application process.
All South Carolina public schools are closed through April 30. S.C. Department of Education has a map of food sites where you may be able to pick up meals for your children while they are not in school.
FOOD, HOUSING AND BENEFITS:
– Find a food pantry or food bank near you.
– Meals on Wheels America delivers food to seniors.
– Find a homeless shelter in your area.
– If you’re having trouble paying rent, see a list of agencies that may be able to help. Although evictions have temporarily been suspended, you are still responsible for paying your rent on time.
– Information from our public benefits unit on getting help with food, medical care and more.
MORE FREE RESOURCES:
From details on court closings to information on student loan help for students and parents, we have more free resources to help you during these difficult times.